Travis' Age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Krista the Anglophile and the Rainy Day

It sounds like a dirty word, but the official definition of Anglophile is a person who greatly admires or favors England and things English (ref: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anglophile). Yep, that's me to a tee!
After visiting England and discovering a deep and abiding love for traditional English scones, I found a recipe and have made them sporadically since my return. Granted, I don't "take tea" daily as the English do; however, I probably make tea and scones several times a month.
Today, it rained all afternoon and I thought what a perfect opportunity to stop my busy day and take tea. So, I made scones, I made tea, I took my beautiful tea set from the china cabinet and set it up on the table. I sat down and watched the rain fall, pretending that I was back in England. Except that it was really warm, I almost felt like I w
as in England again. There is something about the ritual of taking tea that calms the soul and renews the spirit. No wonder life in England centers around it.
The one souvenir I wanted from London was a real English tea set. So after traipsing around London and visiting 8 tea shops (and I just have to interject what an awesome husband I have to traipse around London visiting tea shops with me in search of the perfect one), I finally settled on the tea set we'd seen in the 2nd shop we visited. :-) Isn't it beautiful? Something about having it all set up on the table fills me with a joy and contentment that might be considered strange if you've never experienced it before. If you're ever visiting us and would like to experience the ritual for yourself, I would be more than happy to share it with you.
Here's a picture of me and my wonderful husband, who also shared the experience of taking tea in a real tea house with me more than once!

No comments: