Travis' Age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Woodworking is best left to professionals

Krista and I decided that it would be fun to try and turn an old bookcase into an entertainment center. And honestly, if I had known what we were getting ourselves into, we would not have started the project. (I think that's why they say that ignorance is bliss!)

Despite initial appearances, the bookcase doesn't have any right angles on it. It DOES however have six coats of paint, which it turns out lend it all of its strength! Also, we had to replace the backing since after we carefully removed the back and removed each and every nail individually, the backing snapped in two. A 2x6 to provide center support for the TV, some trim and molding, and 137 coats of paint later... it actually turned out pretty good.

See what you think:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep. We totally rock!

Anonymous said...

Pretty sharp! I'd say you've done well, as long as the non-right angles doesn't cause you to develop any ocd tics.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Great job, Ken! I have an old desk that needs refinishing ...

Unknown said...

Ken that turned out great! Do you know how to replace windows in an old house? That's my big project coming up :-)

Anonymous said...

I work on plenty of things that don't have right angles...some of which I built myself. Granted they were SUPPOSED to have right angles, but the best laid plans and such!

Ken it looks like you did a great job.

Anonymous said...

who is the smiling news commentator on the center tv shot?
Kinda looks like Magic Johnson.

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose you'd take a trip to England to help me construct fitted bedroom furniture. I have an old wooden chair and some pencils we could use for material.