Travis' Age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

6-month Photo Shoot and the Outdoors

As I sit down to write, I can hear Mr. T talking to himself in his crib. Soon, his chatter will turn into whining, then crying, and hopefully after that will be the silence of sleep. I know he's tired, he hasn't napped all day, but he refuses to sleep. We've had a busy day, and he's still wound up. This morning, a friend of ours came out to take some photos of us. She's always loved photography, and is learning about turning her passion into a business. I am happy to have someone else behind the camera besides me, so this works for us both. She does a great job, even photographing something as difficult as a baby, especially one who gets tired and cranky and stops looking where he should be looking!

First, we took some shots in the house, then we decided to head outside. We ended up in downtown Bastrop, by the courthouse, and finally, took a stroll down by the river. Travis was a trooper; it's true, he loves getting his picture taken, but after not having a nap, and being overwhelmed by the newness of the outdoor sites, he still did well. Luckily, Travis is so photogenic! I am excited to see how they turn out. I admire my friend for following her passion. I have been trying to find my passion for years; perhaps my problem is that I have too many passions -- sewing, tech writing, baking, reading, embroidery. How do you make a living doing just one thing?

I had forgotten how quaint and sweet Bastrop is. I forget because I'm always running into Austin, but one thing that I want to do is take Travis outdoors more often. We get a little stir crazy in the house every day. Bastrop is perfect! There are sweet little shops, a nice park next to a river, and people just waiting to coo over my little man. It's hard for me to do things alone, but the truth is, I'm a loner. I LIKE to be alone. At first, that may sound like a contradiction. Though I like to be alone, I don't like to do things alone. I like to have a purpose. Aimlessly wandering is difficult for me. However, aimless wandering can be fun. And, with Travis, I'm no longer alone.

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul.
~John Muir

Next week promises to be busy with several planned trips into Austin, and our MOMS club play date, but I have a renewed desire to visit the outdoors with Travis. Especially with the coming of spring. Spring is my favorite time of year, when God blesses the earth and brings renewal and hope through blooming flowers, bright, sunny days, and grass waving gently in the breeze.

No comments: