Travis' Age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

How to make your own gas pump

As promised, here is how I put together Travis' gas pump. I thought this would be a pretty popular item, but surprisingly, I only found one online reference to a homemade gas pump, so I used it for the basic idea, but embellished my own to create a truly unique homemade gift.

First, I wrapped two boxes in wrapping paper, with the design to the inside. One box was wider than the other. I basically eyeballed how the pump would look, so I don't actually know the dimensions of the boxes I used. Then I hot glued the boxes together.

I used scrapbook paper that I taped onto the boxes with painter's tape. I only had a small rectangle of the green (on the bottom), so I cut down a second design (the cars) to fill the rest of the box.
Scrapbook paper and painter's tape
Using coordinated scrapbook paper to create the various screens, message center, and credit card opening, I cut out different shapes and glued them to cardstock. Then I used electrical tape to tape them onto the top box.
Message Center
I glued another piece of scrapbook paper to the side of the top box (where the nozzle goes).
Spray bottle nozzle and scrapbook paper on side
I cut two holes:
            1) in the bottom of the top box where it meets the bottom box, and
            2) in the rectangle of paper on the side of the top box.

I had a neighbor cut the bottom off the spray bottle. Turns out he just used a bread knife, which left a fairly clean edge.

I then hot glued a piece of rope to the bottom hole, and the other end I hot glued inside the spray bottle. The spray bottle nozzle fits into the hole on the side of the top box.
Final Product!
And now Travis has his very own gas pump!
Sophia filling up the tank while Travis watches
Travis pulling up to the gas pump

1 comment: